Inside the mosque
North wall of the grave of Binat Bakht
New mosque and madrassa in the compound under construction
East view of mosque from the street
The oldest Mosque of Dhaka located near Narinda pul and police outpost survives in dilapidated condition. Architecturally insignificant, this mosque was built in 1457 during the period of Sultan Nasiruddin Mohammad Shah by one Binat Bakht (or in her memory after her death) daughter of a Turkish trader Marhamat. The stone inscription of the mosque written in Farsi (Persian) is located on the north of the Mosque where Binat Bakht is buried. The main features of the mosque are - octagonal turret, single hemispherical dome atop a square room, arches on south, north and eastern sides, modest ornamentation, plaster coating and curved cornices. The mosque has seen three extensions to date, the first extension, around 80 years ago, a dome was built atop a single room. The mosque is a precious piece and a pride in the history of old Dhaka. Construction of a new mosque with high minaret going inside the compound without restoring the old one, which caused row in the locality.