Goaldi masjid- view north west
Masjid is protected one- not open for prayer
(pic credit: sourav)
outside wall- intricate decorations in terr-cotta of hanging lamp and flower
view of a nearby masjid
Abdul Hamid Mosque Goaldih (pic: W. Brennand in 1872)
Old Goaldi Mosque: (pic by W. Brennand in 1872)
Dulalpur bridge Panam nagar over which the road goes to 'Kampani ka Kothi'. Pic 1872 Bernnand
Lane in Sonargaon towards Panam (pic: 1870s by unknown photographer)
Rajghat of Langalbandh
bathing scene of astami snan by hindu devotees at Langalbandh (pic: daily star)
Sitalakkha river, Narayanganj
Historical Mosque at Goaldih:
During the reign of Sultan Hussain Shah in 925 Hijri (1519AD) Mulla Hizabar Akbar Khan built a beautiful single dome mosque at a place Goaldi- half a mile northeast of Painam village in Sonargaon (ref: Tarikh-e-Dhaka, Tayesh). Sonargaon, 27 km east of Dhaka was the capital of muslim Sultanates of Bengal from the 13th century until Mughal emperor Akbar conqured this region. Islam Khan, Mughal Governor of Subeh Bengal, laid its capital at Dhaka. Since then Sonargaon began to lose its importance as capital and commercial centre.
On way to Mograpara from Dhaka along Dhaka-Chittagong highway, a few kilometers off Sitalakkha bridge, a street offshoots on the right that leads to a place Langalbandh (about 27 km east from Dhaka) noted as holy place to the Hindu community. On the last day of Chaittra (last month of bangla calendar - mid April) Hindu devotees gather there in large number to take holy dip in the river which is a branch of Brahmaputra. The annual bathing festival observed with attractive mela every year. Devotees dip in the river to ceremonially clean themselves of all sins.