Dhaka College building, later State Bank building, near Bahadur Shah Park
The college started with only 48 students and in five years, the roll raised to 396. In 1910, Jagannath College became known as the best-equipped private college in Dhaka. It goes to the credit of Jagannath College, along with Dhaka College, that the University of Dhaka started in 1921 mainly with students graduated from these two colleges.
Jagannath College opened Honours and Masters programmes in 1975. That year the government took over the college and upgraded it into a postgraduate college. It has about 35,000 students now, of whom about 17% were female. The number of teachers in the college was 350, of whom around 75% of the teachers were female.The college has been upgraded to full-fledged university from September 2005.