Eden Girls' College in Azimpur
Eden Girls' College: Originated from a school for 'Brahmo' girls established by a philanthropic society in Dhaka in 1873, this school started in a private house at Farashganj. In 1878, the school was merged with another private girls' school to form Dhaka Female School. The same year, the school administration took the initiative to bring it under government management and proposed it be called Eden Girls' School after the Lieutenant Governor Sir Ashley Eden. Given its new status, it started functioning at a new location at Laxmibazar.
Eden was the first government girls' school in Bengal. In 1896-97, it had 130 students. Intermediate classes (grades XI and XII) were introduced in the school in 1926. Since then it got the name of Eden Girls' High School and Intermediate College. A.K. Fazlul Huq, the education minister, shifted the school to a new building on Abdul Ghani Road, later known as Eden Building. In 1947, the government decided to establish its Provincial Secretariat in this building and the college got a temporary address in a part of Curzon Hall. Frequent shifting put the college into an uncertain situation. With an intention to merge with Quamrunnesa School and College (pic below), it was shifted to the premises of the latter in Tikatuli. In 1948, the college sections of these two institutions merged and formed Eden Girls' College. The new college was located at Bakshibazar in 1948. The school sections of the two colleges were merged to form Quamrunnesa School at Tikatuli.
The current campus of the Eden College was developed in 1962 on 18 acres of land at Azimpur, and the degree programmes opened in the new premises, but its intermediate section continued to stay at Bakshibazar. Subsequently, the Azimpur campus of Eden introduced its own intermediate classes. The Bakshibazar section introduced independent degree classes, taking afterwards the name of Government Girls' College, and later, Badrunnesa College. The Azimpur campus got its independent identity as Eden Girls' College in 1963. In 1999, Eden's library had 33,000 books and subscribed to about 1,200 journals and newsletters. Students of the college take part in Rover Scouting and national level sports competitions in the field of hockey, badminton, handball and athletics.
Quamrunnesa Girl's School & College Tikatuli- another important institution once linked with Eden Girls College
Quamrunnesa School gate, Tikatuli
Holy Cross Girl's School & College, Tejgaon
Jubilant faces Holy Cross School with
highest GPA 5 in SSC exam 2006
Pak PM's wife Rukhsana Aziz visits her old school (Holy Cross School) in Nov 2005
The school distinguished itself with excellent academic results of its students and the activities of Girl Guides, Girl Scouts and Yellow Birds. Its students take part in extra curricular activities through recitation club, quiz club and debate club. The school organises science and social science fairs every alternative year. Students of this school also take part in competitions in television and radio, organize education weeks and seminars. In 1997, the government of Bangladesh awarded the school with the 'Best National School' prize.
The school compound has a land area of 0.73 acres. It has well-equipped laboratories, library, a hall room, and playground. The school is open for students of all religions and castes. In 1999, it had 1,000 students in the morning shift and 500 in the day shift. The number of teachers was 59, of which 7 were male.
Viqarunnisa Noon Girls' School & College building
Viqarunnisa Noon School - south gate, New Bailey road
Guardians rush for admission application form in Viqarunnisa Noon School
Rejoicing success of highest number of GPA 5 in HSC 2006
Viqarunnisa Noon School and College: This school was established in 1952 at Baily Road, Dhaka, named after Viqarunnisa Noon, wife of Firoz Khan Noon, the then Governor of East Pakistan. Started as a preparatory school with only a few children, it expanded very soon into a high school and in 1956, prepared students for Senior Cambridge Examination.
The school earned reputation for quality education and excellent results in public examinations. In 1978, it started a college section with higher secondary courses. Under excessive pressure of new admission, the school had to gradually introduce multiple sections, afternoon shifts, and in 1995, a new branch in Dhanmandi. Its main campus is spread over about 6 acres of land. It conducts education in both English and Bengali mediums in humanities, science and commerce programmes. The school is for girls only and in 1999, had 11,000 students, of whom 2,000 were in the college section. It had 212 teachers, of whom 15 were men. The students of the school take active part in cultural programmes, debates and sports.