Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, well known as city of fine muslin, mosques and rickshaws has a fairly long history of evolution. Before it rose into prominence as Mughal capital of Bengal in 17th century and urban & commercial centre, it was under the Sultanates from 14 century. It came under British control in 1757. Dhaka with passage of time testify different faces of history. Photographs and digital archives are the most effective ways that can keep visual records of its colourful history.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Bangladesh University of Engg. and Technology (BUET)
Old Academic building (Ahsanullah Engg. College): north view Administrative building (Old Main hostel) Civil Engineering Building Electrical Engineering Building Architecture Dept building
Abbreviated as B.U.E.T. it is the oldest and the most prestigious institution for higher studies in the country for the study of Engineering and Architecture in Bangladesh. Located in the heart of Dhaka, the history of this institution dates back to the days of Dhaka Survey School which was established in Nalgola in Old Dhaka in 1876 to train Surveyors for the then Government of Bengal of British India. As the years passed, the survey School became the Ahsanullah School of Engineering offering three-year diploma courses in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. The school was moved to its present premises of 76.85 acres (31.1 hec) of land in 1912, in spacious buildings, originally built for accommodating the Govt. Press of the then-East Bengal Government created by Lord Curzon in 1905. In recognition of the generous financial contribution from the then Nawab of Dhaka, it was named after Khwaja Ahsanullah.
In 1948, the School was upgraded to Ahsanullah Engineering College as a Department of Engineering under the University of Dhaka, offering four-year bachelor's courses in Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering. In order to create facilities for postgraduate studies and research, Ahsanullah Engineering College was upgraded to the status of a University in 1962 and was named East Pakistan University of Engineering and Technology. Department of Architecture was also opened in that year. In 1971, Bangladesh became an independent state and the university was renamed as the Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology.
About 5000 students are pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate studies in engineering, architecture, planning and science in this institution. The total number of teachers is over 400. The physical expansion of the University over the last three decades has been impressive with construction of new academic buildings, auditorium complex, halls of residence etc.