Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, well known as city of fine muslin, mosques and rickshaws has a fairly long history of evolution. Before it rose into prominence as Mughal capital of Bengal in 17th century and urban & commercial centre, it was under the Sultanates from 14 century. It came under British control in 1757. Dhaka with passage of time testify different faces of history. Photographs and digital archives are the most effective ways that can keep visual records of its colourful history.
Monday, November 20, 2006
Loharpul at Farashganj- Dhaka's only suspension bridge
Steel Suspension bridge - photo Hoffman in 1880's view of bridge on dried up canal Dhaka city as seen from canal site in Gandaria (Mill barrack) Present view where once stood the Loharpul
Loharpul Bridge: In 1832, the collector of Dhaka, Mr. Walter put up work for a single-span hanging bridge over the canal at Sutrapur (Farashganj) for facilitating passage from Dhaka to Narayanganj. It was a great engineering feat at that time. In 1867, tolls were imposed upon traffic across the canal. In course of time the channel, once of strategic and commercial importance, became choked at places by filth and dirt dumped from neighbouring houses. Some segments of the canal still exist as open exposure, but others had been converted into an underground drainage in the old part of the city. The bridge stood in a dilapidated and broken state in the '60. During 70's, with the Dolai Khal open channel was closed to built underground sewage system, the Loharpul bridge now do not exits.