man in deep sleep on the bench beside park
East gate of park- 'Arunodoy'
Entry through 'star gate' - the first guards room and office built for park in the 50's
Old godown at left for Zoo animals in the 50's
Childrens' park - south west of Kakrail mosque
walkway of the park
Park scene - cool place
Central college girls in park pose for camera
lonely path- north south
place to rest
70' tall water tower built in 1965
park canal carries water east to segunbagicha storm sewer
lake water pumped out for improvement
platform built in 1960 for civic reception to Queen Elizabeth II in Dhaka
Park info billboad
curve inthe right place is pleasing to eyes- (north-south bend away from lake)
Ramna park botomul famed for 1st baishakh - south of lake
Ramna area began to regain its glory since 1825, when Mr. Dowes, a British collector of Dhaka initiated a series of steps for development of the city. Engaging convicts, he cleared up the bushes and demolished most tombs and monuments except the Ramna Kali Mandir. The old mosque and tomb that now stand by the western side of old High Court building were spared. The renovated area was given the name of 'Ramna Green' and was fenced by a boundary for using it as a race course. In 1908 he began the work of a garden that took 20 years to take a shape.
The Nawabs of Dhaka developed the racecourse area as a beautiful garden and named a part of it as Shahbagh, the royal garden. The Nawabs also set up a zoo at Ramna. In 1851, the European civil servants established the Dhaka Club on the northern corner of the racecourse and after the Partition a good number of beautiful residential houses were built at Minto road area for the High Court judges and top bureaucrats.
After creation of Pakistan in 1947, Ramna area continued to occupy an important place in the history of Dhaka city. A new road from Shahbagh to the Eden Building was constructed and the eastern side of the road was developed as the Ramna Park. The miniature zoo with a few animals and different kinds of birds were still there at the northeastern side of the present Supreme Court building. The zoo was later shifted to its present location at Mirpur.
The present shape of Ramna Park was drawn up in 1952 by the then C & B Dept (now PWD) and the lake was excavated and extended. Narrow pathways were built by phases. To water the rare variety of saplings, deep tube well and a bud-shape water tower were built on the northern side. The park now covers an area of 68.50 acres of which the lake takes 8.76 acres. Ramna Park now boasts with 71 species of flowering plant, 36 species fruit bearing plant, 33 species medicinal plant and 41 species of forestry and 11 other species. Apart from these, Nageswarchapa, Swarnachapa, Camphor, Rita, Naglingam, Arjun, Mohua, Kusum, Telsu and Ashok etc. trees adorn the park. Walkways inside park have been widened and five new gates built for entry from different sides. The Park has lot of beautiful sheds and kiosks to relax with toilet facilities.