Old Airport Terminal Bldg. International flight, Tejgaon airport, Dhaka (Gr.Floor built in 1940s)
Old Airport Terminal Bldg. International flight, Tejgaon airport 1967, Dhaka
Terminal bldg. for Domestic flight, Tejgaon airport added in 1960s
Tejgaon hard strip in 1936
US war plane at Kurmitola airfield 1944
Orient Airways, Dhaka-Kolkata flight 1952
Douglas DC3 Dakota by PIA from 1955 to mid 60s
Lockheed L-1049 Super-Constellation, Dhaka-Karachi operated from 1954
Vicars Viscount 1958
Hawker Siddeley Trident introduced in 1966
Boeing 707 introduced in the 60s
Fokker F-27 Friendship in 1960s
Sikorsky S-61N helicopter service operated for remote areas of Bangladesh in Nov 1963 till 1967.
Twin Otters STOL introduced in 1970
Bangladesh Biman from 1972..
New airport construction site at Kurmitola during '60's
View of Airport rail station during late '60's
Airport Railway Station in 2000
Dhaka - Airport road
Fountain and roundabout in front of Airport
Terminal, north side- Zia International Airport
Zia International Airport- front view
Zia International Airport - view from west
VIP lounge- south of terminal
Cargo section aerial view
Immigration counter for foreigners
Immigration counter-SAARC countries
Farewell kiss from grandpa to Rashdan- 14 feb 2006
Govt took over the civil aviation and made it public sector activity in early 1950's. Pakistan Int. Airlines (PIA) was formed and it became the national carrier of Pakistan. Orient Airlines was taken over by them in 1955. Tejgaon airstrip was widened and runway extended for use of heavier planes (Super-Con and Boeing). The terminal building renovated. PIA flew its first Super-Con plane on the 7 June 1954 linking Karachi and Dhaka, which were the main cities of the main cities of the country's western and eastern halves. Kurmitola airstrip remained with Pakistan Air force.
In 1965, PIA domestic routes in East Pakistan operated helicopter services with Sikorsky helicopter. To cope with the increased air-traffic Tejgaon terminal failed to fulfill its requirement as a international airport. In mid 60's the area north of Kurmitola was selected and tender floated for construction of terminal bldg. and runway under technical support of French experts. For transportation of constn. materials a rail station (present airport rly stn) was established near the site. The new airstrip was halfway done when the war of liberation broke out in 1971 and the airstrip suffered severe damage .
After independence, it took several years for the country to gear up works left over by the previous contractors and consultant due to war. The central portion of the present terminal bldg with the runway was formally opened during 1980-81 by President Zia. After the death of Zia, the airport was named after him in 1983.
After 1992, the airport terminal area saw rapid expansion in phases with addition of boarding bridges and equipments. A multi-storey car park with 500 cars was also built. With a total area of 1300 acres, ZIA International Airport is nation’s biggest. More than 16 international airlines use this airport. The airport handles half a million passengers and 98,000 million tons cargo annually. Aviation infrastructure is developed and maintained by the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB). It is the home base and hub of state-run Biman Bangladesh Airlines and private company GMG Airlines Bangladesh. Zia International Airport’s terminal building is equipped with most modern facilities and has an impressive architecture.
(Update: In 2010 Zia Airport has been renamed as Hazrat ShahJalal Int. Airport)